Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2013

No Resolutions Here

No New Year Resolutions here. Nope. I never stick to them. Always fail. And, as I'm a Mum I spend an awful lot of time feeling like a failure, so I don't really need to add to that burden.

So, this year I'm going to try something different. Two somethings different. 1. I'm going to set a small amount of goals instead of resolutions. 2. I'm going to write them here, for all the world to see (or ignore) in a hopefully not vain effort to make myself more accountable.

Personal Goals
1. Get Healthy - deliberately not saying 'lose weight' as the focus should be about health not size, and you know, the failure thing again.
2. Not let others take their own insecurities out on me. You know the type - try to make you feel bad/less just to make themselves feel better. There are a few in my world, not by choice so I can't actually get rid of them. But maybe I can turn their volume down.
3. Read the 25 books on my bookshelf that have gone unread! (yes 25 - I just counted them and then picked myself up off the floor). I have a terrible habit of buying a book I really want to read and then never getting round to it.

Writing Goals
1. Hunt down every agent/publisher lead for "The Point" until someone falls in love with it.
2. Write every day. Using an idea I heard about from a writing friend Vicki Thompson on not 'breaking the chain'.
3. Really work on getting my head round this blogging and twitter thing and support as many of my fellow writers as I can (technology and I don't normally see eye to eye so it will take some doing before I get into the groove with this one!)

Oh boy! I've done it now. Put it in black and white (or charcoal and beige as the case may be) and put it out there for all and sundry. Hopefully this will be the extra motivation I need to see at least one or two of these goals achieved.

Happy New Year to you all. May 2013 be everything you are dreaming it to be.

S
keep chasing those pavements

9 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too! May you find that agent/publisher that falls in love with your book. Good luck with all of your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals to have, Sandie.

    I plan to write more myself, but I've not set a goal just yet. I'm hoping this year slows down a bit because I need it.

    I feel like I'm doing too many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know the feeling. I've had to cut back a few things and really focus.

      Delete
  3. Thanks honey!

    Have you been using it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Yes. First three days of year - great. Day 4 + 5 got taken over by case of bad food poisoning!!! Back on feet today, so back to writing tonight.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you - unrealistic New Year's Resolutions always set me up for failure. For years, I've resolved to use good handwriting when writing checks to pay my bills. It's a small thing; but something I tend to stick to until mid-July when I say, "Awwww, who cares anymore!" and scroll out a sloppy check. I got my blog up January 1 which was a goal. (I told you about that goal a few weeks back.) So that's good. Love your blog. Keep writing! Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Flu is sweeping the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heard about the flu in US. Stay safe. Have popped over to your blog. Congrats. looks great.

      Delete
  5. Regarding #3 under your Writing Goals for 2013 - you should hop on a blog hop that's happening right now (Jan 17-21). Huge grand prize you can register to win, as well as individual prizes on each of the 40 blogs you can hop along. There's a list of 40 chick lit bloggers that all posted something under the theme of "location" and you can click on each blogger's blog by following a simple list that appears under each post. You can get started at libby-mercer.blogspot.com (author of Unmasking Maya). It's called The Girly Book Blog Hop. I'm having lots of fun with it. Might help you with your technology goals to see how this is run. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete