Pages

Sunday 13 January 2013

Not the start I was hoping for

I’m hoping the start of 2013 isn’t indicative of how the rest of the year is going to go. It started with 3 rejections in the first 3 days. Now, rejection is something we all need to get used to as writers, but usually the form emails come in dribs and drabs and I have plenty of time between them to pull my socks up and dust myself off, ready to face the next one. Not this time. Such quick fire shots!

Still, I didn’t really have time to wallow in self pity as I was then struck down by what the chemist said was food poisoning! Her “diagnosis” was based on hubby’s description of my symptoms (I’ll leave those to your imagine as I don’t want to gross you out, let’s just say it wasn’t pretty). Hubby’s grasp of what goes on around him is tenuous at best, so Lord only knows what he told the chemist. I could very well have had Ebola and he would have described a mild cold. He managed to bring home some medicine, though, and it did kinda help.

So after a night of unspeakable horror in the bathroom, I spent the whole of the next day sleeping. As a … I was going to say “sleep-deprived mum”, but as any of you mum’s out there know, the descriptor is redundant. As a mum, the chance to sleep should have been a welcome reprieve. Which it was. I just wish it didn’t have to be punctuated every hour or so with a dash to the bathroom.

I did, of course, recover. Only to get another 3 rejections. Clearing out inboxes for the New Year people? But, still no time to dwell. No. Turns out it wasn’t food poisoning, as I’m pretty sure food poisoning isn’t contagious and next thing you know, Miss almost-7 wakes up at 10pm and begins to empty her stomach in the most un-ladylike of ways. And continues to do so until 10am the next morning!

In the midst of all this pleasantness, hubby flies off overseas for work, leaving me to deal with my own sickness ‘hangover’ and a very sick and miserable little one all on my own. Thanks honey.

So, not exactly the stellar start to the year I was hoping for. Still, it’s not all doom and gloom. Both Miss almost-7 and I are now recovered and given the nature of our illness I pretty much didn’t take any notice of the last few rejections. Nothing like the worry of your baby-girl projectile vomiting for 12 hours to keep things in perspective, right?

But, perhaps the year is about to turn around for me. Hubby is back. Miss almost-7 is back to normal (I think that’s a good thing!), there's been no more vomiting (touch wood) and just the other day I had a partial request. My full is still out there, too, so no news still leaves room for hope, right?

I hope your 2013 is shaping up to be a great year. And even if it started off a bit shaky, I hope it sorts itself out soon. Hold on to happy thoughts. The dawn will break. At least that’s what I tell myself.

S
keep chasing those pavements

7 comments:

  1. A partial request is good, right? :)

    Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. An agent who only takes a query letter initially has requested first 3 chapters. Better than a straight no for sure.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandie
    Jenn McLeod mentioned you and I thought I'd come check you out. I've read your posts from December. I loved the one when you had an agent requesting your full. I can so share the emotional rollercoaster. I was on it myself all last year and I do think I got better at rejection, but it still sucks.
    All it took for me was that one publisher to request a full. That was the first time someone read 3 chapters and *holy cow* actually wanted to see more. It's a magic moment.
    Enjoy it. Good luck. And I hope the rest of the year is better than the start to January! I look forward to checking in on your news.
    Lily M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily, Yes Jenn Mentioned you to me too. Heading to your blog next. Thanks for the wishes.

      Delete
  3. What an awful start to the New Year :(

    Oooooo, a partial request! Good luck! :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vicki, at least I know things will improve, right? :)
      Thanks

      Delete
  4. Keep believing! I hope all is well. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog for details! :)

    ReplyDelete