Pages

Friday 21 December 2012

That first delicious nibble

The day I got my first nibble will stay in my mind for some time. I'm extremely glad we don't have CCTV in our house. While it was a joyous scene, it certainly isn't one I would want anyone to see...

It is 6am, and I'm dragged from my slumber by my 6 year old. Hair sticking out in all directions, mis-matched pyjamas crumpled, an unfortunate tear in the seat of my pj bottoms (hint, Santa, hint), I check my email as I always do first thing. Always expectant that my query letters have worked magic while I slept. Always disappointed by the form rejection email in my inbox. Or, worse still, no email at all. (Yes, agents - hearing nothing is worse than hearing no)...

Bleary-eyed I scroll through my inbox. I've won another European lottery(by jingo I'm one rich woman now) and I'm offered another free appendage enlargement (if only I had said appendage to enlarge!), and an email from the office of one of the agencies I'd love to sign with. I can see it isn't from the agent herself so steal myself for another "Dear Author, thanks but go away". I sigh and start reading.

"Dear Sandie..." (at least they used my name). "Agent Dream enjoyed reading your sample and would like to read more. Please send your full MS...." Sorry? What? "Please send your full..."
A squeal is heard next. Then jumping begins. Then I'm possessed by something or someone that thinks they can dance. Arms and legs start flailing in all directions as I twirl around in the kitchen. I hug my phone to my chest and bound down the hall to wake hubby with the good news.

I frighten the stuffing out of him as I launch myself onto the bed and show him the email.
"What?" he grumbles, clearly not happy to be woken in such a manner.
"This!" I point to my phone.
Then my mouth drops. I realize I've hugged my phone so tight, I've deleted the email!!!

As I panic, computer engineer hubby suggests I simply retrieve it from the trash folder. I do so promptly and then forward to my back up email, just in case.

One more embarrassing happy dance with 6 year old joining in (any excuse to dance for her).

With fingers crossed I send my hopes and dreams over the net into the hands of Agent Dream....

And now I wait. Checking my email every 5 minutes, despite the 11 hour time difference, just in case Agent Dream is awake at 2 am and is so moved by my MS she can't help but respond straight away. Right?

I know that Agent Dream can still say no, and if she does...well, let's not go there today. As writers we face so much rejection, these little victories, the one step closer, are important and we have to hang on to them. So until I hear back from Agent Dream, I'll hang on to that feeling of dancing round the kitchen in my torn pj's.

Good luck to all you writers out there and keep chasing those pavements.
S
oh...I've just checked my email AGAIN - no news!

12 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! Hopefully agent dream will pick you up. Squeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with it all = I am in the same position - nerve wracking isn't it. Your post made me chuckle, and I am following your blog. Fingers crossed for good news in the New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nerve wracking indeed! Good luck to you too.

      Delete
  3. Always remember, don't ever forget: Agent Dream just validated you as a writer by requesting your ms. Agent Dream just said: "You can write. And I believe you can publish." If for some reason, this Agent Dream does not offer to represent you (Agent Dream's loss) please, please, please remember what just happened: You were validated as a writer by someone in the business which means it WILL happen. I hope this is "the one" for you, but if it's not - move onto the next agent because you WILL make a match. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Validation isn't easy to come by, so I will hold on to it as long as I can. ;)

      Delete